Two years ago, the Northerner and I travelled to Rome for a gig by Ben Harper. Those were the days… Musical jetsetting without a care in the world. While we found an awesome restaurant that catered delicious Italian cuisine to my needs, I was missing a little something with my espresso.
In honour of our very different life only two short years after massive amounts of newly engaged frivolity, Baby Lemons and I took to the kitchen and baked sugar-free Cantuccini.
- 300g gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 180g almonds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Mix flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, almonds and cinnamon together until well combined.
- Mix eggs, maple syrup and vanilla essence and work into the dry mix.
- Shape two logs out of the mass (wet your hands with cold water to avoid sticking).
- Bake the logs in the oven for 25 min. Take them out and let them cool down.
- Cut the logs into slices and lay them out on baking sheet. Bake for another 15 min at 180C.
NOTE: Almonds are only low FODMAP when you eat less than 10 in one sitting. Avoid eating all your freshly made Cantuccini in one sitting and you should be okay.