- 250g bacon
- 600g lamb
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 500ml stock
- 2 tsp rice malt syrup
- 3 tsp tomato puree
- 8 small to medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 6 medium-sized potatoes, quartered
- a few sprigs of thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 125ml white wine
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- If you don’t have garlic-infused oil handy, start off by sautéing some garlic in vegetable oil and set aside to infuse. Meanwhile fry up the bacon in a casserole dish.
- Remove the bacon and brown off the lamb with salt and pepper. Add the garlic-infused oil if you require more fat.
- Add beef stock, spices and syrup. Cover and put the casserole dish in the preheated oven for one and a half hours.
- Add the carrots, potatoes and wine and leave in the oven covered for 20 minutes. Uncover the dish and let the sauce reduce for another 10 minutes.
- Season before serving.